Monday, January 9, 2012

Slay Soap Scum

A wet sponge and the good old fashioned 20 Mule Team Borax blasts through soap scum and hard water spots better than any spray I've used.  Even better than other powder cleaners I've used.  With little to no elbow grease, soap scum is history.  Give a little rinse and your shower doors and tiles are nice shiny.  It's cheap and found in the laundry aisle of your local supermarket or big box store.  I've tried other "green" cleaning concoctions of baking soda with vinegar and water, but those still required quite a bit of elbow grease and I wasn't completely satisfied with the results.  Borax works so much better.

4 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try this! Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh...I tried this and it didn't work. I have plastic shower doors and it didn't seem to affect what I assume is soap scum. Could it be possible that not all soap scums are the same? I also was wondering what part of soap causes the scum. I would love to know if there a soap we could use in the shower that doesn't cause scum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no. Sorry Virginia. My shower doors are glass and it works great on them. It also works great on ceramic tile. I have heard there is such a thing as soap that doesn't cause scum, but from what I know about soap making, those type of soaps may not be so skin friendly. Typically, the excess oils in soaps that help moisturize the skin are the same culprits that result in built up over time causing the scum on bath surfaces. If I do run across a formulation that results in minimal "scum" but at the same time is not drying, I will surely post it. Thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try it on my ceramic time and I'll bet it will work fine. On another note, I soaked some stained sponges in a mixture of borax and water and the sponges came out clean as new after an hour or so!

    ReplyDelete